Neurostimulation therapy treatment, or spinal cord stimulation, is the safe delivery of low voltage electricity to the dorsal column of the spinal cord or the spinal or peripheral nerves. With neurostimulation therapy, the pain stimulator blocks pain signals within the spine or peripheral nervous system, before they reach the brain.
The neurostimulation therapy involves placement of a fully implantable, reversible system that allows patients to control their level of stimulation with a handheld device. Providing neurostimulation treatment involves a simple outpatient procedure done first in a trial form, where a patient tries the neurostimulation therapy device for three to seven days to see if they are happy with the results. If they have successful pain relief through the neurostimulation trial, the neurostimulator is then implanted permanently. If for any reason the patient no longer requires or wants the neurostimulation system, it can be removed with no harm, at any time.
Types of Neurostimulation available at Nura:
Benefits of Neurostimulation Therapy
- May replace pain signals with a soothing, tingling sensation or with no feeling at all
- Reversible trial is completed over four to seven days to determine effectiveness of therapy
- Outpatient procedure, little recovery time needed
- Ability to sit, walk and stand for longer periods
- Reversible system can be removed at any time
- Reduces need for oral medications
- Patient-controlled programmer allows for customization of pain control